State 4 Day Work Week Holidays

I haven't ever posted about things in the news, this one made me need to vent. While I largely supported the concept of Utah government offices adopting a 4-day 10 hour work week, I am now losing respect for the workers. Longer hours helps citizens to be able to work with offices after they get off work, which I think serves the public well. I know if government offices stayed open till 7pm that would have been a big help to me while trying to get a marriage license and changing my name while working full-time. One consequence of this plan is that holidays that fall Monday thru Thursday now give employees 10 hours off rather than 7. Currently, employees receive 88 hours of paid leave for 11 state recognized holidays, but with a 10 hour work day, employees would get 110 hours off with the 11 days of holidays. My first reaction to this is, "wah, wah," state workers already get a lot more holidays off than normal people. If you think about it, normal Utah workers get 7 days off for holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Pioneer Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day). That's just 56 hours of paid holidays. State workers are complaining about 88 hours, and not getting Columbus Day and Veterans Day off. News flash, non-state workers always work on those holidays. The bigger picture is that all Americans should get more paid holidays. Compared to other countries, America is at the bottom of the list when it comes to number of paid holidays. We also should get more time off in general. Europeans get a month or more of vacation time, and we only get 2 weeks? A few days at Christmas, a few days at Thanksgiving and those are used up. No wonder a lot of Americans haven't been out of the country. Traveling leads to acceptance of other cultures and we need more days off to have these experiences. I believe that more vacation days would help moral in the workplace and help people stay sane.

Comments

mikeisha said…
Funny you should comment on this subject as I was just reading an article about this two days ago. Well said and I must say you put a lot of thought into that. It must be considerably bothersome to you! So, thanks for not sharing about your blog before! Love it!

Popular Posts