Cake or Fruit Experiment

I was listening to NPR the other morning on the way to work and Morning Edition was talking about an interesting experiment. These scientists gave participants either a 7 digit number or a 2 digit number to remember, then they were told they needed to memorize the number and then go to another room an recite it. On their way to the room, they were interrupted by a person who asked if they wanted a snack. Participants could choose between chocolate cake or fruit. What is interesting is that people who had to remember a 7 digit number were twice as likely to choose the chocolate cake, and those who had to remember a 2 digit number were twice as likely to choose fruit. The theory is that if you have more on your mind, or are more stressed you are more likely to make irrational decisions (like wanting gooey, yummy chocolate cake) that you probably shouldn't. The idea is that rational part of your brain is occupied with trying to remember the 7 digit number and it can't make the rational decision that fruit would be better for you. What really baffles me is that it only takes 7 numbers to make us choose chocolate cake. I feel a lot more justified in my food choices now. To listen to the story click here.

Comments

Unknown said…
wow...that is really interesting!!! no wonder i have to have chocolate like every day. but luckily there are chocolate protein shakes for my fix!!!
kendal said…
What's sad is that just gave me a justification the next time I need a brownie--"but the rational part of my brain is occupied!"
Megan said…
makes sense. I made brownies for my visiting teachers and didn't have much on my mind other than tasting one....it was great!

Popular Posts