Book Recommendations

I have read a few good books lately and I thought I would share.
Twilight
First off, yes, I read Twilight. Yes, all of them. I hate to admit it and I really held out for a long time, but I liked it. It was a quick fun read, but I am not obsessed with it. Does it seem weird to anybody else that women my age LOVE the book and think Edward and Jacob are hot? They are cute, but to me they just seem too young to be hot.
Mansfield Park
I am not a huge Jane Austen fan, but I liked this book. Its about Fanny Price, a girl from a poor family who is sent to live with her rich uncle. Interesting twist at the end, and its always interesting to hear the language in the day.
My Sister's Keeper
A lot of you may have seen the movie, but the book has a completely different ending and they left out a ton of things. Its about a girl who was genetically made to be a match for her sister who was diagnosed with cancer, and then sues her parents for the rights to her body. Although a little extreme and dark at times I think it did a good job of portraying how a family deals with cancer and the intricacies of family relationships.
The Last Lecture
This is the book about a guy who was dying of cancer and gave one last lecture to his students about his advice on life. It wasn't morbid, but mostly funny stories tied into principles that we should strive for. Pretty quick read and definitely worth it.
1776
We all know that this one is about the Revolution, but it really gives a lot of details that you wouldn't normally hear about. I was so surprised at how much you could see that the hand of God was involved in so many battles. Take the Battle of New York where weather conditions enabled the troops to build fortifications overnight without the enemy seeing, then retreat in a vial of fog.
A Marvelous Work and a Wonder
This is part of the Missionary Reference library and was originally part of a training document for missionaries. LeGrand Richards, an apostle in the 70s and early 80s goes through different aspects of Mormonism and proves they are in accordance with the Bible, and explains them. Includes great scripture references to prove the point.
Jesus the Christ
This has been a really hard book to get through and I am almost done with it. It is amazing. It combines the scriptures and basically goes through the birth, life and resurrection of Christ. It is so detailed and I have learned a lot and I have been able to understand principles of the gospel better. Do you know that it is pretty much considered the closest book to scripture other than the scriptures? It was written over several years mostly in the temple.
The Lost Symbol
I just started this one, its Dan Brown's new thriller. I always find his books interesting because he makes them seem so plausible by adding in a lot of information and research that is true. I liked Di Vinci Code and Angels and Demons so I thought I would give it a whirl.

Comments

Unknown said…
thanks for the book reviews! some of my favorite books are House of Glory by Micheal S Wilcox, The Peacegiver by James L Ferrel, and The Great and Terrible series, the first book is called The Brothers. those are seriously SOOOOO good.
Erin said…
Love the reviews. I have been thinking about which book I would start with (the only book I have read on your list already is Twilight) and I might go for Jesus the Christ. I am glad you didn't make it sound like it is overwhelming to read. Or maybe The Lost Symbol because I really liked Dan Brown's other books. Either way I think I need to add some variety from all of this "mommy" material I have been pouring over for forever.

Popular Posts