Leaving the Twins and Parenting

It was so weird being without the twins and Matt for a few days while I went to my cousins wedding (see below).  I hadn't been away from the twins for more than a few hours since they were born! I thought about them a lot and had to look at pictures of them on my phone, but at the same time it was almost like a parallel universe.  It was so different to me that it didn't feel like I was away from the twins, it was like they didn't exist and I hadn't married Matt yet and this was a memory of a trip I had took with my family. I also have never been to the south, so it was just really weird.

I do have to just get on my soapbox and say that I was really taken back by people's comments as I was leaving. Some were like, "oh, wow, is Matt going to survive?" or "Is someone going to help him?" and others made me feel really selfish for going, like, "Oh, I couldn't leave my kids for that long."

I'm not sure how people view parenting, but my take on it is that I am in charge of the kids when Matt is at work, and outside of work we should be 50%-50%.  If he goes to Moab and San Francisco for weekends without me and the kids, I get a weekend away too. If Matt goes Mountain biking for a few hours on Saturday, I get a few hours to myself too. I feel like a lot of women take care of their kids while their husbands do fun things, but don't ask for about the same time for themselves.  Husbands can and should be able to take care of their own kids. They may not know their exact schedules and preferences of food etc., but that is nothing that they can't be told. I think its funny how people said they didn't know how Matt was going to handle both of them, ... um, I do it everyday, so why shouldn't he be able to? I think its insulting to him as a Dad. It was weird how people's comments started making me feel selfish for going, but I think it was the right decision and I'm glad I went.

That being said, I am truely grateful for an awesome husband who I can leave the twins with. He really is a great Dad and I'm glad I feel like we are equal partners in parenting these cute little kids.  He is awesome for letting me go.

Comments

Lauren said…
Good for you! I am glad you went! Ditto to everything you said. I think getting away is so healthy it makes your husband remember just how much you do everyday an appreciate it but it also gives you a time to miss them and appreciate motherhood. I have always hated when I have heard dads call watching their kids babysitting. Seriously they are your children too. We need to catch up I will call you soon.
Amen to that! I think men are alot more capable then they and others let one! We do it all day, they should be able to figure it out too! :) Glad you got a trip away! I think those little getaways and even just a few hours to yourself make you a better mother and wife!

Popular Posts