Pistachio Ice Cream

One of Matt's favorite things are Pistachios and we got an Ice Cream maker for Christmas and I have been determined to make good Pistachio Ice Cream.  After tried several recipes; some the flavor was too strong, some it was too creamy, leaving a film after eating, and I have finally combined several recipes into a recipe I love! So, I thought I would share. Then I decided to go all Betty Crocker and take pics, but really, I think pictures help sometimes when I am making something!

Pistachio Ice Cream
Yields 2 Quarts

1 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
1/2 tsp almond extract
4 large egg yolks
1 cup heavy cream*
1 cup half and half* (can use ½ cup milk, ½ cup heavy cream)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Finely grind 1 cup pistachios and 1/4 cup sugar in processor. 
Bring 2 cups milk and ground pistachio mixture to boil in large saucepan.
Remove from heat.
Whisk 4 egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl.
Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture.
Return custard to saucepan. 
Cook over low heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes (do not boil). 
In separate bowl whisk 1 cup milk & ¾ cup sugar & pinch salt until sugar dissolves
Stir in 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup half and half
Pour in pistachio mixture and add ½ tsp almond extract.
Chill until cold, about 2 hours.
Turn on Ice Cream maker, pour mixture into frozen bowl.
Mix until thickened about 20 min.
Transfer to container and freeze.
YUM!
*The more fat content in the cream the thicker your ice cream will be, but also more fattening. Use whichever cream you want for your preferred consistency.
While Milk 3.25%
Half-and-Half: 12% fat
Light Cream: 20% fat
Light Whipping Cream: 30% fat
Whipping Cream: 35% fat
Heavy Cream and Heavy Whipping Cream: 38% fat

Adapted from http://userealbutter.com/2009/02/02/pistachio-ice-cream-recipe/
from Epicurious.com


Comments

Heather said…
Great recipe! My name is Heather and I was hoping you would be willing to answer a quick question I have about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail.com :-)

Popular Posts