Polymorphous Light Eruption!

Over the last few years I have been getting what I thought was a heat rash after spending a lot of time in the sun at Lake Powell, or Hawaii, or wherever. Turns out, I went California and visited my Aunt Jeane Anne and she said she has the same thing. So I went to the Doctor and he said basically that I am allergic to the SUN! Basically my skin thinks that UV rays are the same as something like poison ivy, and it creates a rash to get rid of it. It is a genetic chemical reaction! Crazy huh? The Doctor says it can appear when people are in their twenties, and it NEVER goes away. His solution: wear 75 spf, stay out of the sun or wear long sleeves ... awesome. I have been prescribed to the life of a hermit. The rash doesn't really ever get that bad, unless I am on a beach vacation, so maybe I can find a happy compromise. I guess I will never really be that tan again, not that I ever was but don't laugh if I am pasty white in July next year.

Comments

Amy Tenney said…
So the doctor's diagnosis = stop being Faroe.

We like the Neutragena SPF 75 and 80 down here.
Erin said…
Allergic to happiness!
mikeisha said…
well all i do is look at the sun and i'm burned. oh it happens. sorry to hear.
jane said…
Hey Faroe- I just found your blog via facebook. :) I have Polymorphous Light Eruption too!!! Ah, cousins. :)
I first started getting at 18 or so. Major bummer...but easily managed.

Popular Posts