Sporty Mammas

I was recently talking with a friend who likes this guy who is a pretty hard core hiker and mountain biker. She likes hiking and biking too, but she isn't hardcore about it. We were talking about how much that matters to guys.  I think its interesting that when you are dating, guys seem to really like girls who have their same interests and they think it is cool when girls want to watch sports or go skiing, etc.  However, when you get married it really is logistically easier if the wife doesn't want to do those things, right?

I was talking with a friend of Matt's and he said at first when he was dating after his mission he thought he wanted a girl who was a hardcore mountain biker, but then he realized he wanted a girl who was more womanly for his wife.  I'm not sure those are mutually exclusive, but do guys sometimes see it like that?

Since Matt and I don't have kids yet, it isn't a problem, but I have a lot of friends who are athletic and love sports, but have kids and never seem to get to sporting events, or play sports.  But it is mainly that they like it, but their husbands like it more so they stay home with the kids?  I think in some cases it is weird that husbands get two nights a week to play a sport, plus most of the day on Saturday, but their wives don't get the same amount of free time. 

Is it easier on a marriage when the wife likes cooking and hanging out at home and doesn't want to go sporting events or go skiing so they are happier staying home with the kids?

Comments

Sarah said…
Well, in my marriage, my hubby and I do not have a lot of similar interests. He is a sports freak and loves to watch and play them. So when he is doing that, yes, I do not mind staying home with the kids at all. But, when I want to go out with girlfriends, go shopping, or go cycling (which are my interests and not his) he is more than happy to stay home with the kids. It's 50/50 for us. And we also take once a week to go out together and get a babysitter. I think we have a great balance. I think husbands who don't give their wives equal time away from home life are incredibly selfish. And I think wives who put up with it are silly. But that's just me! Wow... That was long. Sorry :)
Unknown said…
Yah I agree with the 1st comment, me and dan trade off, so it evens out for the most part. I think it kind of does work out well to have at least a few things different. I think it's healthy individually & for our relationship when we take time to do things we like to do with friends/ family or on our own.
Amy said…
I think everyone has to find a balance and be supportive of the other's interests. Nate has always given me time to train for tri's or other events and I've had to be flexible too....like wake up earlier to train. I also love cooking, but it's not as much fun to experiment with fancy recipes with limited time and energy with 2 little kids. Our expectations have also changed. We've learned that we don't have time to pursue all the hobbies we like now that they affect the whole family. Nate is gone all day, and studies or has meetings at night, so he's really careful about doing extra things that keep him out of the house. That being said, he will take the girls running, or biking in the stroller while I go work out on my own, or we'll switch later.
I used to be the silly one that always allowed my husband to go out and do whatever while I stayed home. But not anymore! hehe! He gets to do his thing and I do mine! But we also make sure we do things together!

And if I could have kids over again, I'd totally have a teenager first instead of waiting the 12-13 years before they grow into one just so I can have a built-in babysitter! hehe

And thanks for the link to the story on the Mormon Channel from yesterday! I had no idea there was a way to look it up!

Popular Posts