Integrity

in⋅teg⋅ri⋅ty

adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty. Everyone knows that non-profit organizations struggle in economic recessions, so I have been a little worried about my job for the past few months. However, the one thing that reassured me was that when I asked in staff meetings how we were doing that everyone told me we were fine, that our pledge drive revenue was down and we were cutting expenses, but that we all shouldn't worry. Imagine my surprise when I got called in and laid-off. During the meeting I told our management that I was very upset with the way they handled the situation. They should have let employees know that the company was in trouble. Our finances were so bad that they had to lay-off 2 people, cut salaries for others, and cut programming; does that sound like everything was fine? When I asked them about it they said they didn't want people leaving. Are you kidding me? That is basically lying to your employees and putting the company before employees. I wouldn't have jumped ship, but I just wish I would have been a little more prepared or looking around at the job market. I really like our management otherwise, but what a huge lack of Integrity. Here is a blog in the Salt Lake Tribune about KCPW's lay-offs.

Comments

Sarah said…
Im so sorry Faroe, that is horrible. I hope you find a new job quickly!!
Abe and Lisa said…
Faroe,

That is seriously terrible! I am so sorry... you were so good at your job. They will be the ones suffering in the long run. I hope you find something soon.

-lisa
Kristen said…
Hi Faroe!

So sorry to hear about your job. It really sucks to be in limbo, but I'm sure you'll find something that's even better for you! Keep the faith!
Amy said…
Hey Far - Sorry about them not giving you any kinds of heads up. That frees up more time to travel though, :).

Popular Posts