The Way We See Ourselves

I never thought I would be one of those people that is crazy about blogging, but I really like it. Not just posting, but reading other people's posts. People share things on their blogs that they probably wouldn't share, or may not come up when just hanging out. In lieu of this I have decided to try to post more about my life and my thoughts, not just vacations or fun things. So, here we go.
"My teacher says real beauty is on the inside."
"That's just something ugly people say."
- Liar, Liar
On one hand I know the church teaches that we need to focus on inner beauty and be happy with who we are, but we are also commanded to obey the Word of Wisdom which not only tells us to obtain from harmful substances, but eat healthy and get enough sleep. Sometimes I feel conflicted with these two ideas.
Whenever I am dieting and trying to lose weight I feel myself also focusing more on how I look and being more shallow. I notice all my imperfections and sometimes I give up because I feel that I will never have the body I want and it's not worth it to work so hard.
We should always be striving to improve ourselves and be healthy, but where is the line with being happy with who you are?
As Mormons we abstain from so many things and I feel I am constantly bombarded with choices. Scriptures or TV. Journal or a movie. For the most part I feel I make really good choices when it comes to being righteous, but sometimes I feel that treats are the one thing I can give in and have that won't effect my spirituality. Sometimes it serves as a release. I know this is a bad way to view food and it shouldn't be an emotional release, but I wonder how many of us have this same train of thought. There are a lot of overweight Mormons and I wonder if this is one of the reasons. We also don't go out drinking or partying so we go out to dessert instead.
I went on LDS.org to try and look up some talks that might deal with this and I did find one
talk I thought was interesting. It talked about how we use desserts as a reward (if you finish your chores we will go out for ice cream) or a punishment (finish your broccoli or you don't get pie) and how we need to take the emotion out of eating. I was definitely raised this way and I think it has effected me more than I know. When I have a bad day or if I am bored I turn to food.
Maybe I am thinking about this completely wrong and if we have a good self image and are living righteously then maybe we will automatically eat healthier. I often think of what President Packer said, "I have long believed that the study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than talking about behavior will improve behavior."

Comments

Unknown said…
good post. i feel the same way a lot!

Popular Posts